Drive stops short with dry plot

Ryan Gosling, who remains nameless, is a Los Angeles stunt man. He falls for his next-door neighbor, Irene, portrayed by Carey Mulligan of Never Let Me Go, which raises conflicts for himself, and everyone around him. Gosling soon finds out that Irene’s husband is being hunted down on account of his various debts while serving his time jail. Gosling decides to help him out, for Irene of course, and in the process of doing so, he encounters a band of criminals under the control of one mastermind after some stolen money.

Ironically enough, Gosling was known to be the “man with no words” in this movie, and some viewers found it extremely frustrating that he does not have an identified name and throughout the movie is never specifically addressed, just talked at.

Drive shows the violent side of Gosling, which is a stark contrast to the sexy ladies man he plays in Crazy, Stupid, Love and The Notebook. This movie in particular was different because of its heavy, gruesome scenes ranging from the knife cutting, and brutal beatings the characters delivered.

Some scenes were so intense viewers cringed at the sight of the blood gushing out and the sound of bones breaking. On the plus side, this action packed movie had surprisingly well delivered stunts that really illustrated Gosling’s nameless character’s skill as a professional driver.

Gosling skillfully portrays his rugged bad boy side in the movie, which as a whole turned out to be a poorly delivered, not because of the acting but as a result of the disappointingly dry plot.

Drive was directed by Nicolas Winding Refn and written by Hossein Amini and was based of the book with the same title by James Sallis.

It fell short at the plot, which revolved around the theme of revenge, a hugely overused theme. Viewers find out that along, Gosling was after revenge for Irene, his beautiful neighbor who had to see her husband slaughtered before her eyes, and for her son who lost a father as a result of the violent crime.

The predictable plot did not get any bonus points, especially since it was filled with unnecessarily gruesome scenes which was targeted for adults, rather than teenagers, and with the amount of gruesome scenes, profanity and nudity, it was rated R.

There are a lot more conversations that lead up to the action event while most viewers prefer to see more action and less talk.

Overall, I would rate this a D+, and would not recommend this movie for any teenagers because of its dry plot and lack of real “action” that we look for in driving movies such as this one. I would wait for it to come out in Redbox or on Netflix.