FBLA students take home awards

The Future Business Leaders of America participated in a March 7 regional competition at Marymount University in which several AHS students won awards.

In the Banking and Financial Systems department, senior Leo Leksang and junior Dana Filipczyk won first place.

“I actually did not attend the event because I though we were not going to win,” Filipczyk said. “Obviously, I was wrong.”

In Leksang’s and Filipczyk’s presentation, they presented a wide array of topics, from banking programs to the history of banking. They were given one, hefty textbook, a set of pre-released questions and one month to study for the regional conference.

Although judges base their rankings on presentation skills, an objective test was given prior to the presentation, for which Filipczyk and Leksang received gold medals.

Several other students had received awards, such as junior Clare Lazar, who received second place in Computer Applications, and seniors Joshua Kim and Sun Min in Digital Video Production.

Because of Filipczyk’s and Leksang’s accomplishments, they will attend the state competition in mid-April in Reston, Va, along with Lazar.

“I’m going to spend much [more] time studying for the state competition,” Filipczyk said. “Going on to nationals would be absolutely amazing. [Although] it’s a huge goal, I believe it may be achievable.”

The full list of award winners includes:

• Banking and Financial Systems – First Place, Dana Filipczyk and Leo Leksang
  • Computer Applications – Second Place, Clare Lazar
  • Digital Video Production – Second Place, Joshua Kim and Sun Min
  • Database Design and Application – Third Place, Nadia Ennasr
  • Networking Concepts – Third Place, Brian Ngac
  • Parliamentary Procedures – Third Place, Shazia Haleem, Mohammad Kamal, Harpreet Kaur and Baseerat Malik
  • Personal Finance – Third Place, Karen Nguyen