Filament Coffee House enjoys success, large turnout

Senior Nghia Tong performs at the biannual Filament Coffee House, which helped raise over $200 for the literary magazine.

On March 14, students gathered in Clausen Hall to join for an afternoon of coffee, baked goods, music and poetry-themed entertainment. Performances ranged from covers of popular contemporary music to original arrangements. Some of the performers featured were also members of the Filament.

“The first time I ever performed was [at the] Coffee House,” sophomore Kristin De Angelis said.

De Angelis joined the Filament her freshman year and performed in the Coffee House in Nov. 2011. For this year’s Coffee House she performed the song “Torn” by Natalie Imbruglia.

“I joined because I wanted to be involved,” De Angelis said. “It feels like family.”

This Coffee House also enjoyed a larger turnout than the previous one, which took place in November. Staff members contributed the increase in attendance to better and more widespread advertising. The Filament’s advisor, English teacher Kathleen Dion, also offered her students extra credit if they attended the Coffee House.

“It was better than last time performance-wise,” sophomore Gloria Umutoni said. “The advertisements were improved from last time.”

The performances were also very highly praised by the audience. Although it is tradition for audience members to snap their fingers at the end of a performance, most of the performances were greeted by enthusiastic applause. Some of the more popular performances were a cover of the song “Story of Us” by Taylor Swift and a Ukulele solo.

“I think a lot of great students were able to show off their talent,” Filament Co-editor in Chief Marwa Eltahir said. “We had a great turnout.”

The Coffee House was considered a successful event by the staff and raised over $200 that will be contributed to the publication of the literary magazine at the end of the year.