Math department holds junior varsity math meet and celebrates AMC high scorers

Math students filled the cafeteria after school on March 21 to partake in the last junior varsity math meet for this school year.

“It may have been the last meet, but I am really happy because the turnout was the biggest,” math teacher Leonida Gibson said. “I also believe that many of the students did well.”

This meet consisted of a six question math test similar to the tests given during the varsity math meets, only the questions are less difficult. Students currently in Algebra 2 Honors or lower are invited to participate in this meet. After the students complete the test, they receive the answers back immediately to know what they answered correctly. Some teachers offer extra credit for participation.

Students displayed mixed feelings about the math problems they had to solve during this meet.

“Sometimes the problems are very complicated, but I can get the answers if I read the question carefully,” sophomore David Nguyen said. “The questions often have a lot of random information that you don’t need to use. If I just pay close attention to what I actually need to solve then the questions can be easy.”

“Every question is different, some are harder than others,” freshman Megan Pendergast said. “As long as you try your hardest you can do well.”

The last junior varsity math meet is not the only recent news for the math department. The results for the American Math Competition (AMC) test have been released, revealing the top scorers from AHS.

The winners for the AMC-10 test are Hriday Kamshatti, James Curtin and Sarah Metzel. The winners for the AMC-12 test are Jonathan Tran, Kevin Kwok and Marvin Castellon.

187 students took one of the two AMC tests during Collaboration Day on Feb. 22. The AMC-10 test is for freshman and sophomore students under 17 ½ years of age. The AMC-12 test is for all high school students under 19 ½ years of age. Students had to pay two dollars to participate and had 75 minutes to complete 25 multiple choice questions.

Students who score at least 100 out of 150 points on the AMC-12 test qualify for the American Invitational Mathematics Exam (AIME), the next round to the competition. There were no AHS students who qualified for the AIME.

“That test had a lot of difficult problems that I could not figure out the answer to,” junior Wenhui Huang said. “Not only that, but we couldn’t use a calculator, which only made the test even harder. It is truly amazing to have one of the highest scores for a test that hard.”