The A-Blast

Update: Bomb threat delays school

Back to Article
Back to Article

Update: Bomb threat delays school

Sarah Bergen

Police turned away students and teachers this morning while investigating a bomb threat at AHS.

Annie Curran and CJ Aftergut, Co-Editors in Chief

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story

Update 10:54 a.m. – According to an automated voice message from AHS, students are being allowed to return to their classrooms and normal operations should resume shortly. Students will be released from the gym and cafeteria in about 10-15 minutes and will then attend R3 for 10 minutes before heading to R5, which will run its normal length and include A, B, C and D lunches as usual. R7 will then occupy the remaining time left in the school day. Attendance will be taken in all classes, though parents may check out their children for the remainder of the school day.

Update 10:36 a.m. – Principal Vince Randazzo just spoke to students waiting in the gym, saying that “the school is back in our control.” Teachers have been instructed to begin preparing for class and are currently moving their cars onto the AHS campus. Students have not yet been released from the cafeteria and gym.

Update 10:03 a.m. – School is officially operating on a two-hour delay schedule, though students will remain in the cafeteria and gym for the time being. There is currently no parking on campus.

Update 9:40 a.m. – According to a FCPS PIO, at 4:35 a.m. this morning, the bomb threat was called into a newsroom and then reported to the police. A suspicious package was found in the front of the school and has since been removed, though it is still being investigated. Teachers are being admitted to a limited portion of the school as the sweep is finished. Buses are also entering the campus. School will re-open today, although the time has not been reported.

Update 7:57 a.m. – According to WTOP, a Fairfax County bomb squad is currently investigating a threat called into the school earlier this morning. Police say that nothing has yet been found, although police spokeswoman Mary Anne Jennings told WTOP that the threat was phoned into a media outlet around 4:30 a.m.

Original Post 7:40 a.m. – Students and teachers arriving at AHS this morning have been turned away. The earliest arrivals were sent to the parking lot of the Heritage Shopping Center, where they are currently waiting on further information. Students that traveled to school by bus have been told to remain on their buses, which have been stationed at Braddock ES. All other students have been turned away, told to go home by police surrounding the campus.

The administration has said that it is a school delay and is still waiting on further information from police in the area as to whether or not to send all students and teachers home for the day. Poe MS has also been delayed, as the buses to pick up students remain at AHS.

Check back for more information on the developing situation as details become available.


16 Responses to “Update: Bomb threat delays school”

  1. Mary Kate on March 30th, 2012 8:27 am

    That’s sounds so scary & confusing, but a bomb threat not much has changed since my brother & I went to AHS

  2. Dad on March 30th, 2012 8:48 am

    Good job A-Blast. No info on AHS or FCPS website, have to go to ABlast to get anything. Follow-up on weak system in place for getting information out to students and family. You’d think after the national calamities at High Schools and Universities that there would be a system in place to quickly get the word out.

  3. Colleen on March 30th, 2012 10:08 am

    Good job Annie and CJ!!!

  4. And Ashley on March 30th, 2012 10:09 am

    It seems to me that the students are more responsible than the administrators, considering that there are students writing this article and the admin. have not even posted anything except an automated message. A for Effort right? Or an F?

  5. Sarah on March 30th, 2012 10:29 am

    great job updating us Annie and CJ!!

  6. Tammi on March 30th, 2012 10:36 am

    Annie and CJ,

    You handled this breaking news story like a couple of professional reporters! Well done!

  7. Allison on March 30th, 2012 2:30 pm

    So true! Great job- I am glad everyone is safe & nobody got hurt.

  8. Tricia on March 30th, 2012 11:00 am

    Thank God for you guys, I would still be sitting in the shopping center if not for you guys!

  9. Nasiha on March 30th, 2012 12:27 pm

    Annie and CJ,

    You guys did amazing with this breaking news! You guys were up to date with every change that was made. I checked the A-Blast for any new info.

  10. Susan L on March 30th, 2012 12:37 pm

    Great job! Follow up by requesting what location is listed on the Facility Crisis Management Security Plan for off-site evacuations. Find out why buses were sent to schools that could or would not accept them. Find out how long it took Police to report the bomb threat to FCPS authorities – let’s see a timeline of events. Was there time to call for a delayed opening? Why did the KIT automated system send out messages so late. As a parent, my first phone call came in at about 9:15 am. Give us a great article that will help prevent the confusion that occured today from occuring in the future.

  11. Julia on March 30th, 2012 1:18 pm


    Great job of keeping us informed! I am very impressed.

  12. Mark on March 30th, 2012 1:38 pm

    Cj is my hero. Good job guys, I also had to go here to get ANY information on what was going on.

  13. AHS Dad on March 30th, 2012 1:41 pm

    Great job, A-blast! The Washington Post had nothing all morning, and you guys were completely on top of things.

    The threat was phoned in at 4:35 yet FCPS decides to go on with business as usual. What a disgrace. I hope the FCPS response to this situation is investigated. So many people could have been in great danger unnecessarily. AHS should have closed for the day, period. I feel terrible especially for all the special ed students and staff stuck on buses or who knows where for hours.

  14. Joe on March 30th, 2012 6:28 pm

    Great job Annie and CJ! Kept checking the news, but you were the only ones with info! Way to keep people informed.

  15. K.L. Hoang on March 30th, 2012 10:45 pm

    The culprit has been supposedly been found according to policeman Bud Walker and the post.

    Nice job guys.

    Lots of missed field trips today too.

  16. Charles S on April 3rd, 2012 7:26 am

    Very responsible and professional reporting, Annie and CJ. Keep up the great work!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Navigate Left
Navigate Right
The Online Edition of the Annandale High School Newspaper.
Update: Bomb threat delays school