Homecoming season returns

Principal Vincent Randazzo crowns last year’s Homecoming Queen, Cynthia Quintanilla, at last year’s Homecoming Game.

Togas, bonfires and pep rallies: Homecoming week is just around the corner and students and teachers are getting ready for a week filled with AHS spirit.

“I am thrilled and I can’t wait for another year filled with Homecoming events,” marketing teacher and leadership advisor Stephanie Harmony said.

The Homecoming Spirit Days for the week have been decided and include: “America” Monday, Tie-Dye Tuesday, Wacky Tacky Wednesday, Roll out of Bed Thursday and Atomic Friday. On Atomic Friday, freshmen wear white, sophomores wear red, juniors wear face paint and seniors wear togas.

In addition to the spirit days, there will be the Powderpuff game on Oct. 23 at 6 p.m., where junior and senior girls will play flag football, along with the annual bonfire. On Oct. 26, the school day will end with the fall pep rally. After school, the Homecoming parade will take place at 4 p.m.

The parade will start in the back parking lot and will continue throughout the Annandale neighborhood. All students are encouraged to come and support the Annandale Atoms. Then the day will end with the football game against the South County Stallions at 7:30 p.m. Homecoming week will be wrapped up with the dance, which will be held in the main gym from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. The theme for the dance will be the “Atomic City of Lights.”

“We want to decorate the gym a lot, but we won’t add too many lights in, because everybody likes to have the gym stay dark,” SGA President and senior Olivia Franjie said. “We are still going to make sure that this dance is a lot of fun.”

Homecoming dance ticket sales begin on Oct. 15 and end on Oct. 26. Tickets will cost $15 for the first week of sales, but the price will go up to $20 for the second week. The last day to purchase a ticket for a guest that is not an AHS student is Oct. 24.

“This year we want to get a lot of students to attend the dance,” Franjie said. “We are advertising a lot and trying to get the turnout to be huge.”

AHS students as well as those organizing the events are getting excited for the all of the upcoming Homecoming events.

“I am looking forward to spirit week, because I love seeing students dress up and seeing all of the school spirit around the hallways,” Franjie said.

“I am excited for this year, because it is my last year and I want to make it the best,” senior Sarah Hatch said.