Spook-tacular fall outings

Rowan Shartel

D.C. Ghost Tours:

Take a spooky tour of Washington’s “Tragedy Square” at Lafayette Park. From duels to assassinations, the past history of this area of the city is full of haunting possibilities. Tours, which are 90 minutes and cover a quarter-mile of the area, are nightly at 8 p.m. through mid-Nov. They begin at the Dolley Madison House, located at 1520 H Street Northwest. The cost is $15 for ages 12 and up. Reservations are required for tickets, so visit www.dcghosttours.com to order them. This is a great idea for a Halloween-themed night that also offers an opportunity to get out and explore Washington, D.C.

Field of Fears:

Cox Farms is a familiar favorite for families and kids of all ages. At night, however, it is transformed into a haunted festival called Fields of Fear. This is definitely not for young children, or even just the faint of heart. Enjoy a haunted tractor ride, a “corn nightmare” with scary thrills deep inside the fields, and “firegrounds” with bonfires, music, slides, and carnival food. A ticket for all attractions is $19, but a basic admission ticket is $13. Fields of Fear is open every Friday and Saturday night through Nov. 3rd at 7:30 p.m.

Pick a Pumpkin:

You do not have to travel to a faraway farm or pumpkin patch to get into the Halloween spirit. A large display is located in the shopping center at Pickett Road and Little River Turnpike. The large booth sells pumpkins of all sizes, flowers and various other decorations. Scarecrows and ghosts adorn each area, and this booth is easily visible from Little River Turnpike. Stop here for a quick Halloween or fall fix.

Cox Farms Pumpkin Madness:

After Halloween, chances are you have a few carved jack-o-lanterns or other pumpkins sitting around. Instead of letting them rot in the yard or throwing them away, come to Pumpkin Madness! Choose from an array of destructive machines such as the “smasher” and “squisher”, drop pumpkins off the high drop, or stomp on them in the stomping grounds. Tickets are $11, open 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Nov. 3rd and 4th.