Filament prepares for annual coffeehouse

Steve Aderton
Sophomore Steve Aderton is one of the many performers preparing for this year’s annual coffeehouse. Some of Aderton’s favorite artists include Ed Sheeran and Mumford and Sons.

The Filament held auditions for their annual fall Coffee House today after school. Auditions ranged from students reciting original poems to guitar playing and vocals. Several AHS students auditioned for a chance to showcase their creative talents.

“I have never had to sing in front of my sister before,” sophomore Saroona Khilji said. Perhaps she was initially doubtful, but Khilji sang one of her favorite songs beautifully – “Falling for You” by Colbie Caillat.

The auditions held in the days leading up to Coffee House offer artistically-inclined students a chance to practice performing in front of their peers before the big day. The atmosphere in the auditioning room was very relaxed and friendly. There was not an intimidating panel of judges waiting to criticize the performer as on American Idol. Instead, the editors of the Filament offered constructive feedback and sat alongside the performers

“I heard about the auditions from a friend five minutes ago in the hallway, and thought, why not?” said sophomore Steve Aderton. Aderton expertly strummed his guitar and sang in tune as he performed “Little Lion Man” by Mumford and Sons, followed by “The A Team” by Ed Sheeran.

Coffee House is sponsored by the Filament, the AHS Literary Arts Magazine and Club. The Filament staff was very supportive and open to all students who wanted to audition. The dedicated staff sponsors this event twice annually, once in the fall and a second time in the spring. All the funds from the tickets and food sold at the Coffee Houses go toward the publication of the Filament magazine. This is a magazine that showcases all the literary and artistic talent at AHS. Artistic pieces found in the magazine include poems, short stories, drawings, paintings, and any other form of artwork that is able to be published. Submissions to the Filament are due in January, so be sure to get your work in by then!

“If we raise enough money this year, we will be able to publish the magazine in color,” junior Sakshi Chhabra said. The staff members of the Filament work hard throughout the school year to put together an impressive literary arts magazine. They host multiple fundraisers such as bake sales and sell tickets for the fall and spring Coffee Houses.

Coffee House will be held on Wednesday, November 14th after school from 2 – 4pm in Clausen Hall. Tickets will be sold at all lunches for three dollars and at the door for five dollars. Free coffee will be provided with purchase of a ticket, food and baked goods will be extra. Come out and support your friends and give your money to a great cause!