Students celebrate ‘snowquester’

Although+the+snow+is+coming+down+fast+on+Toll+House+Road%2C+plow+trucks+have+already+cleared+the+streets.+
Colleen Adenan
Although the snow is coming down fast on Toll House Road, plow trucks have already cleared the streets.

For the past week there has been a rush of excitement in anticipation for the snow storm forecasted for this week. Nicknamed the “Winter Storm Saturn” and “Snowquester,” this tremendous storm has been making its way through the rest of the country on its way to the D.C. Metropolitan Area. School was canceled for today around 4:30 a.m. Several students took advantage of the day of from school to catch up on activities.

“I’ll probably just lying in bed reading, whether it’s for class (which it always is, who am I kidding) or just to catch up on stuff,” senior Gabe Kuhl said. “We stocked up on junk food so I’ll also be keeping myself busy with that, and definitely getting through the rest of House of Cards on Netflix. One thing I can say for certain is that nobody around here is going anywhere. I’ll also be doing work for English, Topics and CAS.”

Freshman Casey Goettlicher plans to invite friends over and possibly go sledding.

“I was excited when I found out there was no school this morning, and I immediately went back to bed,” Goettlicher said.

According to The Weather Channel, the snow is expected to continue until 12 a.m. Tomorrow will be partly cloudy with temperatures in the mid-30’s.

Of course, the main thing on a student’s mind was whether or not there will be school for the rest of the week.

“I [didn’t] think there’s going to be a snow day because Fairfax County can be stupid,” sophomore David Ngoma said.

However, with the weather report including heavy, wet snow, this winter storm could cause power outages and downed power lines, creating a dangerous situation for commuting to school.

Others had different reasons for thinking that we will be in school this week.

“It’s just too late in the winter,” freshman Ibtihal Yahia said.

While students are hoping for a snow day or two this week, they are also remembering that there have been two, of FCPS’s allotted three, used snow days earlier in the year because of Hurricane Sandy. If there are more than three used, students will have to begin making up days later this year.

“The snow isn’t sticking to the ground right now, so it’s possible we might have school tomorrow, but I really hope we don’t,” Goettlicher said.

Be sure to check The A-blast on Twitter and Facebook for more updates about school cancellations and the snow storm.