Filament raises $200 at annual coffeehouse

Yesenia Blount
Senior Omar Khatib purchases his ticket of admittance to attend Coffee House.

Clausen Hall is usually known for lectures and academic awards, but on March 13, AHS students were given the opportunity to showcase their creative talents. From 2 p.m. to 4 p.m., the school’s literary magazine, The Filament, held the second Coffee House of the school year. The Coffee House raises money to produce the literary magazine at the end of the year. It is distributed every year with the Antenna’s yearbook.

The Filament is made up of student produced artwork, poetry, photos and creative writing pieces.

“I had a lot of friends in Filament and I was very interested in art and poetry,” junior Kelcie Chandler said.

The Coffee House held auditions in the beginning of the month. Auditions ranged from poets to musicians. Auditions were held in sponsor Kathleen Mathis’ room, 269 A. Mathis and editors of the magazine monitored the auditions. Some talents played classical pieces while others, such as sophomore Steve Aderton, performed acoustic guitar pieces. Others sang solo or in a group.

Many auditions used instruments like pianos and guitars.

“I came [to Coffee House because I like to acknowledge the new talent everyone wants to showcase,” senior Christine Nguyen said.

Tickets were sold at lunches for $3 and were $4 at the door. The Coffee House offered free coffee and sold baked goods and sweets.

The baked goods and sweets ranged from brownies, cupcakes, and muffins. The baked goods and set up was done by Filament staff members.

Clausen Hall was set up with round tables and a stage for the performers. The lights were dimmed to create an artistic atmosphere.

Coffee House made approximately 200 dollars towards the printing of the Filament.

“All the proceeds go to the printing of the magazine. It will be printed in early May,” sponsor Kathleen Mathis said.