Signal video yearbook canceled

Signal video yearbook canceled
Destiny Gammon

This year will mark the first time that The Antenna yearbook will not have a corresponding video yearbook along with it. The video yearbook is a feature DVD that is added to the back of every edition of The Antenna yearbook. A product of the video staff of The A-Blast, the video is a correlation of clips and photographs that have been taken and recorded throughout the year. In the past, it had been used as a way to document and reveal memories in various mediums, but this year it will not be making its debut as its importance is lacking in this day and age.

“In the age of Facebook and the 21st century, students do not need us [The A-Blast] to be the repository of their visual video memories,” The A-Blast sponsor Alan Weintraut said.

As students become more in-tune with modern technology, the need for memories to be professionally recorded is nonexistent, making the DVD an almost pointless project.

“Everybody has video capabilities on their own phones they post it to their own facebook sites,” Weintraut said.

Due to the fact that the focal point of the yearbook is the book itself, Yearbook sponsor Julia Hanneman believe that it will not be a total loss for the final product.

“As far as my experience with it I do not think it was something that we really needed. Some students enjoyed seeing video footage of games but it was not integral to the Yearbook,” Yearbook sponsor Julia Hanneman said.

Despite the fact that students do not necessarily need the video yearbook any longer, A-Blast sponsor Alan Weintraut admits that, the overall cost, time and energy that the DVD’s production takes is not available this year. At its current state, any volunteers that would like to be in charge of the creation of the video yearbook can contact Weintraut in the future.

Although it has been determined that the video yearbook will not be featured in this edition, and all future editions, of The Antenna, this has not hindered nor altered the planned release date of the book itself.

The Antenna will be released on May 31st all day and the current cost is 80 dollars. Students must be sure to have some form of student ID in order to receive their book.

“We will actually be having a preview of the book a week before to get everyone excited.My staff members will be walking around teasing other students with it, “Hanneman said.