IB Film Festival held tonight

Over 20 short films will be showcased this year

One+of+the+films+showcased+at+this+event+is+%E2%80%9CDreamer%E2%80%9D+which+discusses+seniors+Nicole+Uria+life+as+a+Dreamer.+
One of the films showcased at this event is “Dreamer” which discusses seniors Nicole Uria life as a Dreamer.

Jude Nanaw, Co-Editor in Chief

The annual IB Film Festival is a presentation of about 20 short films created by students in genres including documentaries, comedies, dramas, etc.

The festival this year will take place at 6 p.m. in the auditorium. Admission is $5.

A prominent film this year that has been selected for the VHSL Film Festival is a documentary titled Dreamer. Dreamer tells the story of undocumented AHS senior and DACA recipient, Nicolle Uria.

“We focused on the hardships Nicolle and so many others have to face in the country today,” group leader Megan Lee said. “The production process consisted of many interviews, research and post-production editing to fully convey our message.”

The film will be presented at the VHSL Film Festival on June 2.

“My group, Nicolle and I are extremely happy that our documentary was chosen by VHSL,” Lee said.

The festival features a number of short films from IB Film Studies classes which include both juniors and seniors.

There are a variety of genres showcased each year including documentaries and personal narratives.

Other documentaries include A Payless Job, a movie about the challenging role of being a mother and A Winning Tradition, a movie about AHS being a school of underdogs when it comes to sports.

The categories of awards given to the filmmakers and groups include: Jury Prize, Audience Choice, Best Screenplay, Best Actor and Actress and Best Documentary.

“It is always fun to watch the competition between the juniors and the seniors over who will win more awards,” IB Film teacher Alan Weintraut said.

IB Film classes have completed a number of short projects and films throughout the school year in preparation for the festival.

“I think with all creative endeavors there’s a last-minute push to get your work done,” Weintraut said. “Sometimes it’s frustrating to see some students wait until the last minute, but then again that last 10% of the creative process can yield really great filmmaking.”