College visits coming up

Students+pay+attention+during+the+UVA+college+visit+at+the+Career+Center+on+Sept.+20.+

College visits coming up

Students pay attention during the UVA college visit at the Career Center on Sept. 20.

Jude Nanaw, Co-Editor in Chief

For seniors beginning to apply to their schools of interests and juniors planning out their college application process for next school year, college visits can be a prime opportunity to ask questions and gain information about schools and universities.

Recently, a number of schools and universities including Elon University, the University of Virginia, and Albright College have held informative sessions in the AHS career center.

A representative, typically an admissions officer, from the university opens up the session by discussing academic programs, campus life, extracurriculars, etc. available at the school.

“I think that college visits at the career center are helpful most of the time,” senior Samuel Berhe said. “You end up learning things about the school or about college in general that you didn’t know before.”

This is followed by an opportunity for students in attendance to ask the representative questions  they have regarding the university. Questions range from broad inquiries to specific and personal to a student.

“I usually try to get a feel for and information about what the campus life is like at the school and the different activities that are available there,” Berhe said.

Representatives from colleges that hold visits in the career center also provide guidance and information on the application process including requirements such as SAT and ACT scores, submission of a transcript, teacher recommendations, etc.

Also typically discussed are deadlines for application submission. Whether it be early action, early decision, or regular decision, these application deadlines may vary from school to school.

Students interested in attending college visits are able to sign up through the Naviance Student (formerly known as Family Connection) tab on their FCPS Blackboard account.

Through Naviance, students can scroll through the list of upcoming visits and register to attend visits for their schools of interest. Due to the popularity of some schools, some visits at the career center have a limited number of spots available.

Upcoming college visits this week include the University of Maryland, Radford University, Northwestern University, and Mount St. Mary’s University. These visits are scheduled throughout the day and take place during class meaning that students must be excused by their teacher in order to attend.

In addition to the college visits to the career center, students can also sign up for college fairs through Naviance including the Catholic College Fair on Oct. 3, FCPS College Fair on Oct. 14, etc.

Students applying to four year colleges are highly encouraged to attend college visits at the career center as they are a key opportunity to learn more about schools of interest.

“The most helpful aspect of the visits which some do not always realize is how finding out details about the schools can help you decide on where you want to go,” Berhe said.

Jude Nanaw, Co-Editor in Chief

Senior Jude Nanaw is the current Co-Editor in Chief of The A-Blast. He has been on staff for four years where in previous years he has held the positions...