New class officers elected

New class officers elected

Junior Tarik Darweish hangs a poster in the hallway as part of his campaign for president of the Class of 2020.

Jude Nanaw

Jude Nanaw

Jude Nanaw

Jude Nanaw, Co-Editor in Chief

Recently, school-wide elections took place on March 8. Students from the Classes of 2020, 2021 and 2022 voted during W4 and Pride Time via Google Form.

During voting, seniors participated in a class breakfast where there were updates and announcements made regarding prom, graduation and the All Night Grad celebration.

Leading up to the elections, candidates vigorously campaigned in order to gain support and votes from classmates. Sophomore Jimmy Le, who was re-elected as the president of the Class of 2021 created wristbands with printed slogans and passed them out to other students.

“I ran for class president because I believed that I was qualified to make my class the best it could be,” Le said. “We deserve a great prom that reflects our great students, and we can only get there with a strong initiative.”

Key factors that are typically discussed amid class elections are fundraising and planning for different school events such as Prom or Homecoming. Fundraising was prominent in the Class of 2022 campaign for president where freshman Andrew Zurita was elected.

“I am planning on making more creative fundraisers such as a Qdoba night, a Lunar New Year celebration, a talent show and make more class spirit apparel,” Le said.

Another issue brought to the forefront in the Class of 2021 election was student mental health where Le discussed self-care and student stress.

“I want to use my platform to highlight and discuss mental health issues and talk about it during class meetings,” Le said. “I want to give students the opportunity to come to occasional W4 sessions where they can do yoga one day or perhaps a relaxing painting.”

As for rising seniors, the Class of 2020, junior Tarik Darweish was selected as the next class president.

“For the remainder of this school year, I want to prep and get everything ready for next year,” Darweish said. “The main priority is for everyone in the Class of 2020 to have a memorable and fun senior year.”

New class officers plan on adding new events to AHS as part of their newly held positions.

“I definitely have some new ideas that haven’t been implemented in prior years,” Darweish said. “I want to add a lot more school spirit and fun activities and events that students can really benefit from.”

Jude Nanaw, Co-Editor in Chief

Senior Jude Nanaw is the current Co-Editor in Chief of The A-Blast. He has been on staff for four years where in previous years he has held the positions...