Students attend Washington Capitals practices

With tickets to hockey games being so expensive, many Caps fans are finding it more and more difficult to go to games and watch their favorite players. A cheaper alternative is going to Caps practices at Kettler Capitals Iceplex, located atop the parking the garage at Ballston Common Mall. Fans can see players get more ice time and try out tricks that may not be seen in a game. They may also have the  chance to meet players and get autographs or pictures.

“I’ve gone to many practices, and it’s always cool to see the players so close. It’s fun to be able to watch the drills they do and how they interact with each other when they’re in a more relaxed environment. After they practice, some of them come over to sign stuff on their way to the locker room, but sometimes no one comes over. Sometimes you have to stand outside and find them on their way to their cars, but they’re usually pretty nice about it. I’ve met a lot of people, including Karl Alzner, John Carlson, Marcus Johansson and, best of all, Brooks Laich. I’ve been to lots of Caps games and there is no doubt that they are fun, but games can be expensive if you don’t have season tickets. Any Caps fan would enjoy going to a practice because it’s a really cool experience and it’s free!”

—Senior Kyle Kowalczyk

“At Caps practices, you pretty much just watch them and then wait outside for them once the practice is over. You’re stuck waiting there for a little because they’re showering. I’ve gotten signatures from players that have retired such as Olaf Kolzig and newer players like Brooks Laich and Nicklas Backstrom. People should go to these because they’re fun and free! It’s a way for newer fans to learn about the game and learn players other than Ovechkin. It’s also really awesome when you get to take pictures with them and get their signatures! Go Caps!”

—Senior Natalie Ford

“I’ve been to about 15 Caps practices and they are so much fun. Watching them all work together and laugh is so cool, instead of them just being so focused at the games. After they practice, they come out and talk to all the fans and sign stuff if you bring it. You can have actual conversations with them too and take lots of pictures. It’s a fun experience and people should go because you can see someone famous and when you’re watching a game, you can say, ‘I met them.’”

—Junior Brittani Gonzales

Visit Capitals practice at Kettler Capitals Iceplex above the Ballston Common Mall at 627 N. Glebe Road, Suite 800, Arlington, VA  22203