Is sportsmanship still alive?

A hard shove by your opponent in the midst of a game and you’re on the ground. Frustration follows and you expect someone to help you up, but instead, that player walks away. In that instant, you question the very existence of sportsmanship.

Sportsmanship is widely considered an extremely important part of sports and reflects respect and control for all athletes. However, the fear of losing during a competition can push an athlete to his or her limit and, as a result, cause the thought of sportsmanship to dissolve.

Today, many acts against sportsmanship have forced some people to question its existence.

“I feel as though [players are] aggressive and only want to win. They also want to impress their parents or coaches,” sophomore Kunnica Kou said. “Of course players should try to win, but they should also consider the safety of others.”

Several students have faced the absence of sportsmanship firsthand during games.

“I think sportsmanship is getting weaker by the year. If a player pushes or trips you, he or she should at least try to help you up,” sophomore Carly Klima said. “I try to help as many people as I can and when I put my hand out to help them up, they slap it away.”

Other students witness acts that lack sportsmanship even as a spectator.

“Last year at the varsity lacrosse game against Oakton, the students on the opposing side were extremely rude during, and even after, the game because they called us different names,” junior Maddy Reinert said. “It was really disrespectful and frustrating because they had little concern for anyone other than themselves.”

However, some students have experienced several instances of sportsmanship during times of competition.

“After marching band season, if I get an award over someone else from another school, I’m nice about it and congratulate them on how well they did,” senior Diego Cornejo said. “I do so to bring everyone away from the negativity and egos. It ensures fair play.”

Faculty must also cope with the periodic lack of sportsmanship during games.

“[At the] boys basketball game vs. Lake Braddock, the official stopped the game because one of our fans was yelling something inappropriate at the opposing team,” Director of Student Activities Karl Kerns said. “Students no longer cheer positively for their classmates. Instead, they make derogatory remarks about the other team [and] players.”

However, some coaches believe that sportsmanship is still alive and well at AHS.

“I have not [seen acts against sportsmanship]. AHS has the best sportsmanship of any teams that we have competed against,” Head Baseball Coach Ranilo Abrigo said. “If sportsmanship is weakening it is because players are not being taught well by their parents first and coach second.”

Despite multiple instances that have forced students and faculty to question the existence of sportsmanship, it is impossible to lose such a essential element to athletics.

“Even though I’ve witnessed different acts against sportsmanship, it is not necessarily nonexistent because even small acts of respect serve a vital role in athletics today,” Reinert said..