Auburn tight end joins Annandale

Coming+out+of+high+school%2C+Otersen+committed+to+VMI+to+play+football+but+then+later+transferred+to+Auburn+University.+

Auburn tight end joins Annandale

Coming out of high school, Otersen committed to VMI to play football but then later transferred to Auburn University.

Jude Nanaw, Sports X-tra Editor

Assistant Atoms football coach and classroom aid Christopher Otersen had the unique experience compete in college football at two Division I schools.

Otersen was recruited to play college football at the Virginia Military Institute in Lexington, Virginia.

“The recruitment proccess was full of anxiety for me,” Otersen said. “I wasn’t highly recruited, but I knew I had this dream to play at the collegiate level.”

Otersen went on to receive one offer from VMI to play college football and accepted it. At VMI, Otsersen’s playing experience was limited due to injuries that kept him off the field for some time.

“My playing experience was very limited due to injuries and transfer restrictions,” Otersen said. “But I enjoyed every bit of it.”

After his time at the Virginia Military Institute, Otersen later transferred to Auburn University in Auburn, Alabama. He received another opportunity to play as he made the team as a walk-on.

“I was fortunate enough to receive a great education and a championship ring from Auburn’s championship season in 2010,” Otersen said.

Now a football coach and classroom aid at AHS, Otersen shares his experiences both on and off the field with others.

“Now I get to work at Annandale so I can share my knowledge of academic integrity and athletic excellence,” Otersen said.

Despite not being heavily recruited early on, Otersen managed to defy the odds and worked towards earning the opportunity to play on a consistent top football team in the nation.

“I’ve noticed that if you work hard, keep the faith, and are willing to do your part, you can fulfill your dreams in life.”

About the Writer
Jude Nanaw, Co-Editor in Chief

Senior Jude Nanaw is the current Co-Editor in Chief of The A-Blast. He has been on staff for four years where in previous years he has held the positions...