Stallions top Atoms 83-72

As a halftime lead turned into a double-digit loss, the AHS varsity boys basketball team looks to rebound from their game on Friday, Dec. 11.

The team traveled to South County High School to take on the Stallions and, despite an AHS halftime lead, South County came back in the second half to win, 83-72.

“We tried hard but as I spectated from the bench, I could see we weren’t looking toward the big men inside— Melvin Robinson and Karl Ziegler,” said senior forward Donnie McQueen. “It created more turnovers and less scores.”

One possible explanation for this was the loss of junior point guard D’Angelo Boyce in the first half.

“Early in the second [quarter] I stepped on someone’s foot and sprained my right ankle,” said Boyce. “I’ll probably be out about a month but I’m going to still try to motivate and inspire my teammates during practice and during our next games.”

Even with the injury, the Atoms were able to carry a four-point lead into the half, 37-33. The Stallions, however, came out hot in the second half outscoring the Atoms by ten to take a six-point lead. In the fourth, AHS could never quite get all the way back into the game and South County went on to win by 11.
“When D’Angelo got hurt, it felt like a piece of the puzzle was missing,” said McQueen.

Junior Karl Ziegler led the Atoms with 20 points and juniors Ronnie McCoy and Melvin Robinson added 12 and 11 points, respectively. Boyce and senior Joe Turner each contributed nine points.

The team now looks ahead to their next game against T.C. Williams on Friday, Dec. 18 at home at 7:45 p.m.

“If we’re going to succeed we need to try not to turn the ball over as much,” said senior Evan Griffin. “We want to win a Patriot District title and prove we’re better than what was expected of us.”

The Atoms record currently stands at 2-1, pending their result last night, which was played too late for this issue. The team opened the seasons with decisive wins over Wakefield High School and JEB Stuart before falling to South County.