Boys track continues winning streak

In their most recent competition at the Friends of Indoor Track Invitational, the boys team was able to pull out another win while the girls lost with a close score and a strong performance, making the boys 4-0 and the girls 3-1 overall.

“The relays did well and the mid distance and field event teams also did well and I think it gave us a good start to the season,” said senior long and triple jump participant Desmond Lee.

Looking towards the rest of the season athletes and coaches are positive in their hopes for improvement and desire to win another district championship.

“The team needs to keep working hard and turning in good performances in the upcoming meets at Fork Union and at Virginia Tech, with the ultimate goal being to win the district team championship,” said coach Sean Miller.

The girls are mainly looking to improve all their times as well as working on the fundamentals of each specific event. “The last meet I didn’t do as well as I would have liked to, so hopefully I’ll significantly drop my time, but the girls team is strong in mid distance and sprints but we still need to work on the distance group,” said senior mile runner and 4×8 team member Meriem Oweis.

In the last meet, key female performances included Elizabeth Flint who placed in both the triple and long jump events. “We are working on strength and fitness and we are a young team on the girls side with a lot of potential and hope to fiinish in the top four at districts,” said coach Dave O’Hara.

Although the boys are 4-0 overall there are still improvements to be made. “The boys’ team need to find more scoring in the sprints and jumps, the girls’ team has good individuals but lacks overall depth,” said Miller.

Key male performances in the last meet included Daniel Blasser in the 500m and Michael Ejigu in the 3200m run. Jack Griffin, Alhaji Bah and JP Jenkins all placing in the 55m hurdles.

The upcoming varsity meet at Virginia Tech is motivation for some of the team members to work hard in practice and continue to improve in order to have a strong performance in the competition on Jan. 29-30.

“I am excited for the Tech meet because it will be really fun but we have to keep improving if we want to be the best we can be in the meet,” said senior Maggie Bermingham.

The Atoms next meet will be Jan. 30 at Episcopal High School against South County, Lake Braddock and Lee.