Woods takes his first step

As world famous golfer Tiger Woods stepped to the podium at the PGA Tour Headquarters in Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida on Feb. 20, no one knew exactly what the 34-year old would disclose. In his 13-minute plus speech, his first public appearance since the November 25, 2009 crash that turned his world, and golf fans all over, upside down, Woods answered no questions.
He did not give the media, who has been extremely critical (with merit), the chance to ask questions, to clarify parts of his apology. He did, however, apologize up and down for his “irresponsible and selfish behavior.”

Woods became emotional as he admitted being unfaithful to his wife Elin, as well as apologetic to his fans, friends and family. Woods also adamantly requested that the media and papparazzi leave his two young children, as well as his mother, alone.

He admitted  that he had spent 45 days in therapy and through that process had “learned the importance of looking at my spiritual life and keeping in balance with my professional life.”          Woods said that he had “convinced myself that normal rules didn’t apply,” and that he felt as if he “deserved to enjoy all the temptations” that came with his fame.
Woods then admitted that he was wrong, and that though he is exceptionally famous, the rules still do apply to him. He is still expected to be faitful to his wife. Still expected to be an exemplary father for his young children. Still expected to be the hero that his fans percieved him as.

Woods seemed to grasp this, and the emotion that overcame him seemed real and unrehearsed. Despite this apology, Tiger still has a long way to go before he returns to the idol that he once was.

He took a step toward this, saying that he believes “achievements on the golf course are only part of setting an example. Character and decency are what really count.” His words, however, lack meaning until he can prove that he can be the exemplary person he once appeared to be.

Woods attempted to appeal to his fans, saying, “I ask you to find room in your heart to one day believe in me again.” He also stated that he had “let down” his fans.

In thirteen minutes, Tiger mentioned returning to golf only once––saying that he did intend to return “one day.” He also said that upon his return he needs to make his behavior “more respectful of the game.”

Whether it is this year––which Woods indicated was possible––or in the future, Woods seems to understand that when he returns he must regain the respect of his fans.

While cynics may argue his press conference was simply carefully orchestrated to offer the star an opportunity to apologize to fans and the all-important corporate sponsors without having to face the scrutiny of questions from the media about his life, Tiger’s apology was his first step in the right direction.