Boys basketball falls in regionals

Following a very successful regular season, the boys varsity basketball team headed into the postseason with high hopes. Unfortunately, the Atoms’ play faltered, resulting in early exits at both the district and regional tournaments.

“I thought we still  had a good season even though we didn’t get as far as we wanted [in the postseason],” said junior D’Angelo Boyce.

Despite playing arguably their best game of the season in the first round of the Patriot District Tournament against T.C. Williams High School, the Atoms fell to West Potomac High School 59-51 in the district semifinals. Although the loss ended their district title chances, the team was still hoping for success in regionals.

On Feb. 24, the Atoms traveled to Mount Vernon High School to take on the Majors, the number one seed from the National District. Mount Vernon played like the higher seed and ended the Atoms season by a final score of 93-79.

“To be honest I thought we played a really good game [against Mt. Vernon] up until the last few minutes where they showed how good of a team they really were,” said senior Chris Sheehy, who scored 10 points in the game. “If we had played better defense I think we would’ve won the game, but overall I wasn’t disappointed with our effort.”

The 93 points were the most given up by the team all season, but the offense was still in full rhythm. Juniors Karl Ziegler and Melvin Robinson led the team with 21 points and 17 points, respectively, while Boyce added 16 for the Atoms.

The team finishes the season with an overall record of 14-5, but there certainly could have been more success.

“We want to come back strong next year and once again contend for a district title,” said Boyce.

Visit annandaleatoms.com for the complete results of the boys basketball season.