Boys lacrosse overpowers Falls Church

Through two games this season, the boys varsity lacrosse team has dominated their opponents. Their goal differential in that span is 34, a statistic that should have other teams in the Patriot District nervous about playing the Atoms later this season.

“Our games so far really haven’t even been competitive for us,” said junior midfielder Andy Craig. “But it’s nice to have momentum heading into our tougher games.”

The Atoms opened the season on March 17, against Marshall HS with an 18-0 rout of the Statesmen. They followed up that dominant performance with a 16-1 victory over Falls Church on Thursday, March 18.

“We shot better against Falls Church; working the ball to get good shots not just cranking it at the goalie,” said head coach Bill Maglisceau.

So far this season AHS has been paced by their starting attackmen with junior Nick Lalande’s 11 goals, junior Nathan Miller’s seven goals and junior Stephen Craig’s six goals.

“Our attack has played exceptionally,” said Lalande.

Despite the team’s decisive victories, the team knows that there is still room to improve.

“We’ve done a decent job on ground balls but we can do better,” said Maglisceau. “We’ve been decent on faceoffs but I expect improvement.”

The team has five captains this year: Miller, fellow junior Bob Stevens, and seniors Stephen Novak, Murat Gokturk and Andrew Sells. Other key players include the Craig brothers, Lalande, newly converted junior defenseman Peter Hagen, senior August McCarthy and senior Travis Briggs.

The Atoms now enter district play, starting away at Lake Braddock before coming home to face district powerhouse West Springfield on April 8.

“West Springfield and Woodson are definitely going to be the biggest games of our season,” said Miller. “We’re going to have to get past them if we want to win another district championship. The key will be to have our reserve players step up because right now our depth could be better. The clearing game will also have to be improved to continue our success.”