Boys Soccer wins 3-1

The boys varsity soccer team started off their season with a strong 3-1 win against the Centreville Wildcats March 19. Goals came from junior forward Paulino Arevalo as well as senior midfielder Eugene Tuffer, who scored twice. Strong performances also came from senior midfielder Sam Tubb and senior defender Goldy Berhane.

Players hope that winning their first game of the season at their home field will serve as motivation to continue their hard work and ultimately win a district title.
“I felt very good about our result against Centreville. They are a very good team and expected to be one of the regional powerhouses, and beating them the way we did turned a lot of heads in the region,” said senior captain Goldy Berhane.

Despite their strong performance against Centreville, players and coaches agree there are improvements to be made not only on the field but off the field as well. “We hope to improve our team chemistry on the field. The more games we play together on the field it seems like we get better and better,” said Berhane.

In recent years the Atoms have competed in the district tournament and also gone on to participate in regionals and after their continued strong results, the outlook for this year is positive.
“If we can keep getting the results we have recently than there is a very good chance that we can win the district and I can see us making a very good run at regionals,” said Berhane.
So far this season the team has played one game and two pre-season scrimmages tying Marshall 1-1 and beating Chantilly 2-1. Their next game will be home today, Tues. March 23 against Jeb Stuart at 7 p.m.