Girls soccer ties Centreville 0-0

As the whistle blew at the end of regulation, the Atoms looked up at the scoreboard to find themselves tied 0-0 with one of the top teams in the region. On Friday March 19, the girls varsity soccer team played the Centreville Wildcats at Centreville High School. The Atoms went into the game hoping for a better result than the 8-0 defeat they suffered the last time they played the Wildcats.
“We knew we had to play hard, be first to the ball and keep them from getting free shots and crosses,” said junior Jenna Balicki.

In the first few minutes of the game, the Atoms were challenged defensively, but the rest of the game proved to be an even match up. Strong defensive play was crucial throughout the game.“The defenders worked especially hard with [goalkeeper] Jane Aman making over 18 saves,” said head coach Janeen Westphal. “Alley Adcock and Amanda Fouche did a great job marking two of their key offensive players.”
Heading into overtime, the Atoms hoped to come out with a victory.
“We just wanted to continue playing how we were and take shots on goal whenever we had the opportunity,” said senior Aby Diop.

However, after two additional five minute halves, the game remained scoreless and ended with the final score 0-0. Although they did not get a win, the game offers a promising future for the Atoms.
“Centreville is one of the top teams in the area, so for us to be able to step up, and match their level of play shows that we can compete with anyone,” said senior captain Stephanie Burns. The teams’ next game is at home on Tuesday against Stuart.