Lax starts season strong

“The season is going fantastically well, but we still have a few things we need to work on,” said assistant coach Bonnie Vining.  AHS varsity girls lacrosse has started the season 2-0 in non-district play, defeating the Marshall High School Statesmen 12-7 on March 16 and the Falls Church Jaguars 17-3 March 18.

The strong start hints at a possible back-to-back Patriot District Championship for the Lady Atoms.  Last year’s championship was won by a score of 11-7 against the South County Stallions. “One of our main goals this year is to get back to the district championship and to win it again,” said senior Caroline England. “The feeling last year was so great; we all want that again.”
With five starting seniors, this team has a strong sense of leadership from their tried veterans.  “Our teams looking really strong this year. I think we have a great chance at becoming district champions again this year,” said optimistic sophomore Kenzi Wright.

The girls junior varsity squad also has been playing well. They have won both of their games in landslide victories, including a victory on March 16 against the Marshall Statesmen with a score of 10-1.  With such a high scoring games, the players have had a chance to work on their passing techniques and to try new things. The younger team consists of players that will hopefully help the girls varsity team to many championships in years to come.

Working on transitions and ground balls seems to be the main focus of the varsity team.  Practicing five days a week, generally for around two and a half hours, the team makes the most of their time.  Practices consist of individual as well as team drills along with scrimmages with game like situations. The scrimmages are designed to build teamwork and to boost confidence. Atoms fans can see the girls on April 8 at West Springfield against the Spartans. “I think this season is going to turn out well for us this year and I want us to go far in the post season tournament,” England said.