Boys tennis 6-2

Off to their best start in five years, the varsity boys tennis team looks to continue their success today against the West Potomac Wolverines. The Atoms are 6-2 on the season and are currently third in the district behind Lake Braddock and Woodson. On April 15, the team smashed the Lee Lancers, 9-0.

“We played very well against a team we knew we could beat,” head coach Mike Scott told the team in his post game meeting.

The shutout of Lee marked the third time the team had done that to opponents; the other two being an earlier match against Lee and West Potomac.

Prior to beating Lee, the Atoms won a close match over South County. Having lost No. 4 player senior Connor Volk to a season-ending ruptured appendix, the team was already short-handed going into the match. When junior JP Ramirez was also unable to play for the Atoms, the presumed easy victory suddenly became a struggle. After splitting the singles matches with wins from freshman Courage Okungbowa at No. 1, junior Erik Morton at No. 2, and junior David Hookey at No. 3, the Atoms then had to take at least two of three doubles matches. After Okungbowa and Morton teamed to win at No. 1, the No. 3 doubles team of sophomore Philipos Ousman and junior Byron Felt sealed the Atoms win.