Lacrosse beats rival Woodson 8-6

Ever since the boys lacrosse team took on W.T. Woodson in the annual Fall Brawl Lacrosse Tournament, they have been itching to get back on the field and face them in a regular season game. On April 15 they got that chance and welcomed the Cavaliers to the Patriot District with an 8-6 come-from-behind victory.

“We were looking forward to playing Woodson all year,” said junior Andy Craig. “We knew it would be a good game and beating them on their field was a great way to welcome them to the district.”

With local television station Fios 1 Sports airing the game live, the Atoms jumped out to an early lead on a goal by junior Nick Lalande. Just five minutes in, the Atoms had extended their lead to 3-0 on another goal by Lalande and one from junior Stephen Craig. The offense sputtered, however, in the last half of the first quarter and the entirety of the second quarter, and the Atoms’ three goal lead had turned into a 5-3 deficit by halftime.

“We started out the game well, but Woodson stepped up their game and we didn’t respond in the first half,” said Lalande.
AHS turned the game around in the second half, however, fueled by stellar defense and goalie play by junior Bob Stevens.

“Bob did a good job [in the second half],” said head coach Bill Maglisceau. “He didn’t get down on himself and although we’d like to have zero goals, we have to be realistic.”

Stevens and the rest of the defense teamed up to hold the Cavaliers to just one second-half goal, allowing the offense to mount a comeback. Lalande and sophomore Ryan Miller each notched two goals and junior Nathan Miller added one to seal the 8-6 win.

“We didn’t play our best, but it was nice to still come out with a win,” said Nathan Miller.

“We played about two and a half quarters of good lacrosse; the first half of the first quarter and the third and fourth quarters,” said Maglisceau.

This win followed the April 14 win over Lee, 11-9. Prior to that, the team had lost their first game of the season at home to West Springfield, 8-5.

“The players knew they could beat West Springfield and when you lose a game like that, it kind of wakes you up,” said Maglisceau. “They know they can’t lose games they know they can win.”

With the two wins, the Atoms record stands at 6-1, with seven more district games before the end-of-season tournament. Their game against South County last night ended too late for this issue, but the team will host West Potomac on April 22 on Senior Night in their final home game of the season.