Softball steamrolls Titans 14-0

Coming off a tough loss against South County in which they played thirteen innings only to lose 0-2, the girls varsity softball team took on the T.C. Williams Titans at Booth Park Friday night.

Having beaten the Titans 18-3 in their last game together, the Atoms were looking to get off to a fast start and record another blow-out win to generate some momentum before heading into the district tournament.

The team failed to disappoint, jumping out to a quick lead and holding it throughout the entire game. Behind a strong outing by junior pitcher Izzy Yaroch, the Atoms continued to score runs and never faltered in the 14-0 victory.

The entire team contributed in the win, which brings the team’s record to ten wins and eight losses on the season.

Though they played well and returned with a win, several players acknowledged that there is still work to be done in preparation for districts.

“We definitely need to work on our baserunning,” said sophomore Jessica Hotter. “We need to be smarter on the bases.”

Sophomore Emily Krause pointed out a mental aspect that the team could improve on. “We have some good talent on the team but don’t put forth effort some days.”

With only one game left in the season, the Atoms will continue to practice and play hard throughout the district tournament.

“I think we’ll come off strong in the last two games,” said Hotter, who hopes for a positive end to the successful season.

“I’m hoping the season ends strong and we beat South County,” added Krause. “Districts is coming up and we’re hoping to pull out some wins.”

The team’s first game this week came last night against West Springfield and ended too late for this issue, but the Atoms will also take on South County on Friday.

“[The key to beating the Stallions] is to not have that many errors in the field,” said sophomore Megan Wade, who is hopeful about the Atoms’ game on Friday. The team is looking to upset the Stallions, who were undefeated at the start of the week and handed them a disappointing loss in their previous match-up.