XC storms ahead with full force

As the last cross country meet before districts, the Stallion Stampede served as a way for varsity and junior varsity racers to ready themselves for their final meets of the season.

The meet ended with mediocre results for AHS, as team finished 14th out of 23 teams with junior Samir Shah leading the pack.

Behind him was senior Kamin Horvath, who stepped out and finished second in a big meet for him.

“This year’s course was different from last year’s, most of the course went through the woods on a pretty narrow path,” said senior Matt Haines.

Haines did not do as well as he wanted to in the race and puts thoughts of the Stallion Stampede behind him as he focuses on doing his best in districts.

“I didn’t do too well because I didn’t get out fast enough. I didn’t have a good position going into the woods and passing became really hard.”

The most important part of a race can be argued as the start. Getting out quickly and passing other runners in the beginning is something that varsity and junior varsity runners try to work on.

“I am definitely ready for districts. I’m ready to compete on a course that I’m really experienced with. I think we truly have a shot at getting to regionals, but it will take an all out team effort from everyone,” Haines continued.

As the season comes to an end this week for most junior varsity runners, both they and Coach O’Hara shared their thoughts on the last meet of their regular season and the district meet.

“I enjoy focusing on the JV kids. Because of our numbers we should do fairly well, but there are great programs racing against us like Lake Braddock, West Springfield, and West Potomac that are tough.”

Coach O’Hara has always emphasized that all the runners play a crucial role. As slower guys get faster and catch up to the fastest racers, this motivates the faster runner. No one is not important.

Sophomore Errol Arcinega stated, “My season has been pretty good, I’ve been improving bit by bit. I’m pretty ready for the last meet and I’m going to go all out and do the best I can.”

“I thought this season was fun, I loved all the courses that had lots of hills. I think our varsity guys have what it takes to place well in districts, “ said senior Yery Gonzalez.

Junior Brandon Marwah said, “I feel I sucked this season, but I think I did pretty good in Octoberfest.”

“I think they’re ready. We have a real good chance of reaching regionals after districts. The top four in districts move up,” said Coach O’Hara.

“Cross country this year has been great, we trained hard and progressed really well under Coach O’Hara. I think the competitiveness we had at every meet really led to our success,” Haines said.

Now all that remains on the minds of the varsity and junior varsity runners is to finish their fall season at their best.