One shot short of semi-finals

A final loss against the Oakton Cougars cut the varsity girls field hockey team’s season short.  The Atoms 2-1 loss in the second round of the regional tournament was an unfortunate ending to a very productive season.

“Overall, this season was a great success.  I was very impressed with the level of commitment, heart and hustle through our ups and our downs.  Everyone continued to improve throughout the season — especially during the post season — and our teamwork really came together in the tournaments.  We learned a lot together and gave it our best!” said head coach Cindy Hook.

The Atoms ended with a final record of 8 wins and 10 losses, improving their record from last year’s of 6 wins and 11 losses.

“The season went great, but had its ups and down and every meeting we had before our games made us stronger,” senior Kate Nguyen said.

The Atoms junior varsity team did well this year and finished with a record of four wins, three losses, and five ties. Strong performances from junior team leaders Hiba Abu-el-hawa, and Evelyn Jaramillo helped bring experience to the otherwise young team.

“It was a good season and we should be a strong team next year as well,” said junior Hiba Abu-el-hawa.

The Atoms hope to continue their improvements and be even better in the 2011 season next fall.

“We have many younger experienced players that are ready to step up. Fans can expect to see exciting, action-packed games as the 2011 Atoms challenge for the Patriot District title–and more!” said a very excited coach Hook.