Atoms cruise past Lake Braddock in 7-point win

After keeping the game close over the first three quarters, the varsity girls basketball team was able to turn up their scoring and finish strong with 15 points in the fourth quarter to beat Lake Braddock. The Atoms improved their record to 12-9 and moved up to fourth place in the district as they enter the Patriot District Tournament.

“We started out the game playing lackadaisical, but once we slowed things down and picked up our play on the defensive end, we started scoring more easily,” senior captain Kelly Hughes said.

“They had the advantage coming into the game pumped up because it was their senior night, so they got on a bit of a run. We just had to take a moment as a team and get our minds straight so we could all play together as a team,” junior Hailey Brown said.

Junior Jackie Beathea has been a key factor for the Atoms this year and was the leading scorer on the night with 11 points. Beathea was named first team All-Patriot District this weekend after a strong showing throughout the season.

Other players that were key in the victory included Brown, freshman Ally Mastrota and Hughes. Both had 7 points in the win along with strong defense starting in the third quarter.

“[The keys to our victory were] staying within the frame work of our team not trying to do to much even though we were down. Just keep chipping away at their lead and checking out not allowing them to get second shots,” head coach Patrick Hughes said.

In order to advance to the regional playoffs, the Atoms must win their first game of district play.

After the loss, the Bruins’ record dropped to 12-9 and to 3rd place in the Patriot District. T.C Williams maintains their control over first place in the district with a record of 17-5.

“[We] worked on moving the ball and getting the ball to players in their scoring areas. As always, we worked on improving ‘D’,” coach Hughes said.

The Atoms hope to start out the tournament game with more intensity because of the lose-and-go-home aspect of the tournament.

“[We want to] win and stay alive [in the tournament],” coach Hughes said.

On Feb. 15 the Atoms faced cross-town rival W.T Woodson in the first round of the playoffs. During the regular season, AHS beat the Cavaliers twice; once at home and once on the road. The game, however, finished after publication time. Check www.annanadaleatoms.com for information concerning the game.