Basketball prepares for regional final

For the first time in school history, the AHS boys basketball team is bound for states. The Atoms have never advanced this deep into regional play, yet tonight’s regional final will hold no surprises for the determined Atoms.

The Atoms are set to take on the T.C. Williams Titans tonight at Robinson Secondary School, a rivalry that has been renewed multiple times over the course of the season. The regional match-up will mark the fourth game between the Atoms and Titans this year, and the Atoms will be looking to avenge their district final loss by capturing the regional title.

However, the Atoms are not the only team seeking revenge in the Northern Region Championship. Though the Titans defeated the Atoms by both 6 and 13-point margins this year, the Atoms dealt the Titans their second of five losses on the season. The Atoms also knocked the Titans out of last year’s district tournament, setting the tone for this year’s rivalry.

Even with a state tournament berth already secured by the two finalists, so much is on the line for both teams. Each is looking to gain momentum heading into the state tournament, and a win would likely bolster the victor’s confidence and propel them into state competition.

Each team may have its own motives, but come tonight the past will be forgotten. All that will matter is the score of the game at its final buzzer and the excitement of fans that storm the court in celebration of a regional title.

Here are the projected starting lineups for the game and their scoring averages this season:

AHS:

G- D’Angelo Boyce (17.1 points per game)

G- Sanar Shamdeen (6.6 ppg)

F- Karl Ziegler (18.7 ppg)

F- Melvin Robinson (10.6 ppg)

F- Tyler Schwartz (2.5 ppg)

T.C. Williams:

G- Tyler Driver (7.6 points per game)

G- Tyrell Sitten (9.7 ppg)

G- Daquan Kerman (4.2 ppg)

F- Jamal Pullen (13.8 ppg)

C- Rick Mathews (7.7 ppg)

Update: The Atoms end up taking 2nd in the Northern Region after losing to T.C. 59-54. The Atoms play on Saturday, March 5 against Eastern Region Champion Norcom at 1:45 p.m. at The College of William and Mary.