Spring Sports Preview

Baseball:
A dedicated senior class looks to lead this year’s baseball team deep into the playoffs. Led by coach Ron Abrigo, the team looks to have the makings of a great season.

Key Players: Eric Reynolds, Ryan Keck, Jordan Cowles, Jake Barnes and Pat McCann

Big Games: Lake Braddock and South County

Player Outlook: “Our seniors have worked very hard this year and there are a lot of leaders out there. I think we will have a good season,” senior Eric Reynolds said.

Softball:
“I have high expectations and [the team does] as well. We have 11 of 14 players returning this year and if we can play as a team we can go further than last year,” Head Coach Chris Tippins said.
The girls look to better their 12-9 record and win the district

Key Players: Isabelle Yaroch, Jessica Hotter and Kelly Hughes

Big Games: South County, Lake Braddock and West Potomac

Player Outlook: “We have a solid team this year and a lot of returning players. I’m excited to get on the field and beat our toughest rivals South Couty and West Potomac,” junior Emily Krause said.

Boys Lacrosse:
After a tough loss in the Patriot District Championship to cross town rival W.T. Woodson, the boys lacrosse team plans on district dominance. Last season’s record of 12-2 will be a tough act to follow, but a strong senior class shows promise.

Key Players: Nathan Miller, Ryan Miller, Peter Hagen, Andy Craig, Stephen Craig, Nick Lalande and Bob Stevens

Big Games: W.T. Woodson and West Springfield

Player Outlook: “I’m looking forward to this year because of the hard work we all put in,” senior Bob Stevens said.

Girls Lacrosse:
Last season ended with disappointment after the girls team lost the Patriot District Championship to district rival W.T. Woodson. The team lost six players to graduation, but hope that a strong core of seniors this year will be able lead the team.

Key Players: “Everyone is a key player,” Head Coach Cindy Hook said.

Player Outlook: “I think that this season should go pretty well. We have a handful of returning players that will be a strong unit on the field,” senior Kate Bermingham said.

Boys Soccer:
With a new coach and new dedication, the varsity boys soccer team looks forward to a bright season. Coach Stephen Howes has taken over as head coach. “We want to be undefeated state champions,” Howes said.
The Atoms hope to improve on their record from last year of 8-2-6. They were eliminated in the first round of the district tournament by T.C. Williams.

Key Players: Marco Hurtado, Wilson Martinez, Jordan Fox and Melvin Perla

Big Games: Lake Braddock and T.C. Williams

Player Outlook: “I think this season will go well, not only because the soccer team is more organized, but because we have a pretty solid team,” junior Sergio Moya said.

Girls Soccer:
The girls soccer team is coming off of a 6-6-5 season and hope to improve to a winning record. Goalie Jane Aman, who has committed to play soccer at The College of William and Mary, should give the team a solid foundation with which to get better. With 16 returning players, the Atoms should be a force to reckoned with this season.

Key Players: Alley Adcock, Jane Aman and Jenna Balicki

Big Games: Robert E. Lee and West Springfield

Player Outlook: “If we work hard at practice and grow as a team our season will be very successful,” junior Kim Rowland said.

Boys Tennis:
With a solid core of returning seniors, the varsity tennis team looks to capture its first regional tournament berth in over ten years. With three seniors who have played in the top six since their freshman year, the tennis team is loaded with experience and primed for succeess.

Key Players: Erik Morton and David Hookey

Player Outlook: “I think that with our experience and raw young talent, the tennis team should be able to finish top 3 three in the district and qualify for regionals,” senior Erik Morton said.

Girls Tennis:
With a new coach this season in Dean of Students Hassan Mims, the girls tennis team looks to improve on last year’s 4-7 record. With five returning players, the team is looking to its seniors for leadership.

Key Players: Kelsey Knoche, Alexa Lafferty and Bonne Clark

Big Games: Lake Braddock and West Springfield

Player Outlook: “We lost quite a few good seniors last year, some of which were in the top six, but so far it looks like we can pull through and have a successful season,” junior Bonne Clark said.

Track and Field:
Coming off of a winter Patriot District championship, the outdoor track team looks to be a favorite this spring season. The indoor team took 7th overall in the state this year and has many of the same athletes, so the team should be successful this season.

Key Players: Ahmed Bile, Nathan Seeto, JP Jenkins and Joel Hoisington

Big meets: West Potomac and T.C. Williams

Player Outlook: “This year could be a great one. Especially after the strong winter season,” senior Nathan Seeto said.