AHS goes 2-3 in Spring Invitational

For two weekends straight the girls lacrosse team has hosted a tournament at AHS inviting local out of district teams to compete.  The annual Atomic Blast Spring Invitational was added to the schedule again this year in addition to the regular season game played against West Springfield.

“I think that it was a well organized tournament that everyone enjoyed playing in,” assistant coach Kari Kraus said.

The Atoms went 2-3, including losses to Chantilly, Bishop Denis J. O’Connell and Oakton and wins against Gar-field and Forest Park HS.  Osbourne Park HS was also in the tournament, but didn’t play AHS.

“It was disappointing that we didn’t win the tournament, but we played really well as a team and I thought we did great,” senior Kate Bermingham said.

The tournament is hosted by AHS every year to provide more games for the team to play in preparation for future games. Chantilly HS won the tournament by going undefeated.

“Even if we don’t win, the tournaments help us learn and improve for our upcoming games,” senior Megan Loman said.

The strenuous weekend schedule was added in addition to the regular season schedule.  The exciting last minute victory over Patriot District rival West Springfield was over shadowed by the four games played in less than twenty-four hours.

“The amount of games was really tough on us because we played so many games in such a small period of time,” junior Kenzi Wright said.

However, the team has a week to recover before getting back to work with a huge game against rival W.T. Woodson on April 4.  The week has three games including a scrimmage against St. Bartholomew’s School from Newbury, England.

The biannual scrimmage will be played at AHS on April 8. The trip will also consist of the two teams going on a field trip to Washington D.C.  to visit the monuments, as well as a visit to  Tyson’s Corner Mall.