Boys lacrosse looks to build on strong start

The varsity boys lacrosse team has started off this season on a roll. After defeating highly ranked Chantilly in a scrimmage, they continued their winning ways with a win over Brook Point followed by an impressive string of Patriot District victories to open the season. The success has not come without hard work, however.

“Practice has been more intense this year,” senior captain Bob Stevens said. “We’ve had earlier Saturday practices and we’re running a lot more, but if we want to do great things, we have to put in the extra work.”

The work has paid off. The Atoms are currently ranked first in the Patriot District and are considered by many to be a favorite for the Northern Region title.

This year’s roster boasts a starting lineup consisting of six seniors, highlighted by Division I recruit Nathan Miller. His younger brother, junior Ryan Miller, is the top underclassman contributor. The defense is held down by Stevens, senior Peter Hagen and senior Andy Craig, while the main goal scorers for the Atoms are senior Nick Lalande and senior Stephen Craig.

Despite their many strong contributors and high expectations, the team must still prove that it can continue its successful run. They will start by traveling to West Potomac tomorrow and are scheduled to take on W.T. Woodson on Saturday at home in two crucial Patriot District match-ups.