Sophomores get physical with videos

If one were to pass by a gym class and see what was going on inside, he or she might think that the class was watching a Jillian Michaels DVD. That assumption is close to the truth, but what is actually occurring is the fitness unit of sophomores

who have gym first quarter. These sophomores have to complete the annual aerobic routine video as a large part of their grade.

Students are first exposed to a series of instructional physical fitness videos to prepare them for the course. They are currently in the first stages of their project and are watching workout videos such as INSANITY, P90X and Zumba to give them ideas for their aerobic routine.

By watching the actions and techniques of professional choreographers, they gain a basis of knowledge to start their own routine. Students even participate in these video routines to gain a better grasp of their expectations and how they must

carry out the project.

Students act as cardio workout instructors, choreographing a routine with a series of six exercises. The exercises can be high impact or low impact. Whichever they choose, the final product must be at least two minutes long, meaning each exercise should be done for about 20 seconds.

An upside to this activity is that students can have the routine reflect their physical preferences and personality. Students may also use music during the routine, but they are not allowed to work with a partner, which some sophomores are disappointed about.

“Since we can’t have a partner, it feels very awkward,” sophomore Francisco Lam said.

This is a new change to the system since sophomores last year were able to perform their routine with two other friends.

“[My video] fits me, and what I need to do to stay in shape,” sophomore Elizabeth Manthos said.

After the video is made, students research aerobic activity and reflect on the benefits of exercising. The project teaches students how important it is to stay in shape and how to create a total body workout that is best fitted to their body.

These videos also show how students can link exercising to other academic benefits, such as presentation skills, and how the IBMYP areas of interaction are incorporated into the project.

Gym teachers believe that this video is both fun and beneficial to students, as they learn the i

mportance of exercise, which will serve them well when they enter the real world.

“Once you leave high school, other than sports, the only activity you do is probably going to the gym. And besides, who doesn’t love Zumba?” gym teacher Cragin Winkler said.

It is evident that teachers are a bit more excited than students about the video activity, as they see the long term effects it could have. This activity in particular is different from any other gym activity because it involves assessments and allows for students to learn hands-on about physical fitness.

Many upperclassmen remember being forced to go through the same course.

“I liked doing the fitness videos, but creating my own was kind of difficult. I really don’t miss gym overall,” junior Michelle Park said.

said

While some students have negative reflections of the course, others are still able to value the intended fun within the making of these fitness videos.

“This project takes a lot of energy and thought, but is probably one of my favorite parts of gym,” sophomore Sureyya Gokturk

By Erika Alwes

Photographer