Track and field wins states

Annandale is no stranger to individual champions on the track, but the recent success of the team winning the state title has brought a new level of pride to the school.

“Winning the state championship is a tremendous accomplishment for the athletes,” head coach Sean Miller said. “They have worked eight months a year to get to this point. It is great to see them happy, and the state title is fantastic for Annandale High School as a whole.”

The Atoms tied for first place with Grassfield High School with a score of 44 points, majority of which came from the three wins in the 4×100 relay, 1600 meter run and 800 meter run. The team sent eight boys to compete in the state meet and placed in five different events.

“[The team] did an amazing job. For you to win states everyone has to step up and do their best,” assistant coach David O’Hara said.

A controversial call prevented the Atoms from earning more points and being the sole title holders. The 4×400 relay was disqualified after the referee ruled that they violated the rules by throwing down the baton after crossing the finish line.

“We know we did everything we possibly could to win,” Miller said. “I did everything I could to remain calm and composed. After all the great things our athletes did, I didn’t want to put a negative light on the team by showing my anger towards the officials.”

Adding to his already impressive resume, senior Ahmed Bile won both the 1600 meter run and the 800 meter run with a time of 4:13.12 and 1:51.51, respectively. Bile’s 800 meter time was his fastest of the season.

One Albermarle runner dropped out of the 1600 meter run to focus on beating Bile in the 800 meter, hoping that Bile would be tired from his previous races. However, this strategy failed to work and Bile proved victorious.

“[Bile] could have gone for state records if he had only run one event, but he did just enough to win, which shows he’s a team player,” O’Hara said.

Another standout runner was junior Alex Ellison, who ran a 21.60 second 200 meter dash, earning him second place, and a 10.55 in the 100 meter dash for third place.

Bile and Ellison qualified for the national meet, which will take place in two weeks.

“It feels really good [to qualify for nationals]. I’m excited; it doesn’t feel real,” Ellison said.

Ellison was also a member of the 4×100 relay along with seniors Rolan Andoh, Dylan Van Balen and Walter Manlan. Ellison anchored the relay and was able to come from behind and pass three teams to win by .02 seconds with a time of 41.59.

“I’m always a ‘team first guy’, even in an individual sport like track. It’s especially great when relays win state titles, because all four members can share in the success,” Miller said.

“All of us did really well, it was pretty much perfect,” Van Balen said.

The girls sent one relay, comprised of sophomores Isatu Koroma, Destiny Anderson and Katherine Ross and junior Rowan Shartel, to states where they ran a 50.34 second 4×100 and placed fourteenth.

“It is a fantastic feeling to know that we have won titles based on hard work, commitment, and integrity,” Miller said.