New season, new sports

Fall sports pave way for winter season

New season, new sports

Senior Sarah Hawkins jumps for the ball during an AHS field hockey game.

Eman Jaradat, Staff Writer

As the days get shorter and the weather gets colder, the fall sports season is coming to a close. From football to cross country to field hockey, the fall season had a few ups and downs, but overall was a great start to the school year.
There are many sports that students can participate in the fall season including cheerleading, cross country, field hockey, football, golf, and volleyball.

Although football had a decent season, with a 4-6 record, the players bonded through their long hours of practice. The highlight of football season was most likely the Atoms’ victory in the homecoming football game against the Washington-Lee Generals by a score of 42-28. The Hype Squad was also very supportive and increased the audience’s team spirit.

Field hockey also managed a strong season with a record of 6-9.

“I think that the season went pretty good,” senior field hockey player, Ankita Bhurtel said. “Everyone hustled hard but we were missing the mental component on how to strategize our plays. There was a lot of heart and hustle throughout the season though, so for that, I am thankful to work with girls that worked almost as hard as I did when I play.”

Field hockey players also built lasting relationships with their teammates. Especially through the Big Sister-Little Sister program, where one varsity player and one JV player were paired together to bond through shared experiences.

“My favorite memory from the season was when I drove the ball in the corner during a tournament, and ultimately assisted because Emily hit the ball straight into the goal cage, making us like 4-0 against Justice HS.” Bhurtel said.

Volleyball, although they did not have the best season with a record of 2-12, still enjoyed the time they spent playing with each other. The highlight of the fall season for volleyball was the Dig Pink game, where the team raised both money and awareness for breast cancer ($900). They also had unique handshakes before the game, as well as celebrated their ritual of selling baked goods.
Cross Country had an excellent season, especially during regionals.

“The Cross Country season was very successful and the girls on the team were super dedicated, supportive, and focused. The team put in the effort and it really paid off.” Senior cross country runner, Nadya Droujinsky said.

They attended the Gunston District Championship, where Sophomore Julia Ghiselli came in first, running two miles in just over 6 minutes. Similarly, Junior Mikyas Sahlu, also came in first for Boys, with a speedy time of 5:11.

“My favorite memory was seeing the consistent growth and improvement of the girls from one race to another.”Droujinsky said.

The fall sports season had a good run, but the winter sports season are fast approaching. Winter Sports include Basketball, Wrestling, Track, Swim & Dive, and Gymnastics. Everyone is anticipating an excellent Winter season, especially for Basketball, Wrestling, and Track.

Eman Jaradat, Staff Writer

Senior Eman Jaradat is entering her first year as a Staff Writer for the A-Blast. She loves playing basketball and watching hockey. Her favorite hockey...