Senioritis… it’s setting in

For about one-quarter of the school, classes have become obsolete as this year’s school calendar is drawing to a close. Many members of the Class of 2010 have begun the annual ritual of “senioritis,” a term coined for the attitude that many seniors take-on as colleges have determined who will be attending their schools next fall. 

The goal of high school is to get into college. Well, once you’re there, then what?  Senioritis, that’s what. The “symptoms” for this tradition are slacking off in classes, skipping projects, and even school. Unfortunately, their years at Annandale are coming to a close, and they want to fill their last days with fun memories, not projects and homework. 

“I haven’t done any homework outside of school,”said Senior Kayvon Naghdi “Now, I just show up to class and do nothing.” 

“I’ve gotten lazier, and I’ve begun to slack off on my work,” said Senior Angel Jimenez. This approach brought on by many seniors is noticed not only by other students, but by teachers as well.

“Senioritis” is running rampant through the Class of ’10, even IB Candidates are affected by the “disease,” said Jonathan York, history teacher.

“It greatly affects me because I know I shouldn’t slack off, but at times I don’t feel like getting anything done,” said Senior IB Diploma candidate Christina Bui “I do eventually get the work done on time, but I procrastinate quite a bit.” 

For these hardworking students, “senioritis” will not take full effect until at least May 24, the last day of IB testing, but maybe even longer due to final exams.

This term though, is well deserved by all seniors. High school is said by many to be some of the momentous days of their lives, and for seniors, reflecting on their career here at Annandale will bring up many mixed memories. 

For many seniors, the Annandale Alma Mater sums this up by its last line, which reads: “So as we grow older, and think upon our ways, our high school, dear Annandale, will call to mind its days.” 

The “Four Year Run,” also the name of the drive towards AHS, is coming to an finish line for these students, and for many, seniors are planning to remember their last days as some of the best of their lives, for which “senioritis” can be held responsible.