New Year, New Goals

Students eat lunch in the cafeteria at the beginning of the school year.

School began September 6 for the AHS community. A new warning bell could be heard every two minutes before class as the halls were packed with new freshman, familiar faces and eager-to-graduate seniors. For the 2011-2012 school year, the new W4 homeroom period will be a new school experience for everyone. Many students will be able to use the new W4 period to work on the subjects they struggle in and teachers can save time in their regular classes and get administrative work done in their W4 period.

Seniors will be busy filling out applications and getting ready for college, juniors will be hitting the books to get ready for the SATs and freshmen will be getting used to their new high school environment.

“I want to get good grades and come to school every day,” senior Jessica Coreas said. She plans to graduate in 2012 and attend college the following fall.

Annandale Singers member Laura Hackfeld says, “My academic goals for this year are to get my grades in shape so I can get into a good college. Junior year is the year when grades count the most, so I want to succeed.” Laura has a busy schedule and she will be participating in theater, Broadway Desserts, singing valentines as well as participating in class acts, the fall play, the children’s show and the spring musical.

Freshman soccer player Kaytlin Hopkins says that she’s nervous about how many people there are. “Teachers aren’t gonna baby you anymore,” Hopkins said. Hopkins stated that she would like to maintain a 4.0 GPA this year.