Tips on working in a group

All throughout the year, you get assignments that require several people to complete. Working with others can be uncomfortable for some, but these tips will help your group make a good final product.

-Be a leader. Take charge of the situation by coordinating with others and defining responsibilities for each group member. Having clear goals and roles makes a group work more efficiently.

-Communicate with everyone. Let everyone share their ideas and encourage them to speak up if they have something to say. Some people may not have agreeable ideas, but the group as a whole should listen and discuss.

-Don’t waste time. Some group projects will require you to work with your friends, but save irrelevant discussion for after the assignment is completed. If you find it hard to avoid talking with your friends, try to find someone who you can work well with.

-Keep in contact with group members. Phone numbers, email, shared class periods or lunches are all ways to talk about the project you are working on. Once group members have each other’s contact information, be sure to check for new messages as often as you can.

-Be confident about your choices. It may be uncomfortable to continuously ask group members about their work, but you need to make sure everyone is actually doing what they need to be doing.