IB Spotlight: Angela Kim

Jessica Salisbury, Academic's Editor

How do you keep up with your academics and social life?
I manage my time wisely. I make sure to put all of my energy into school so I can get my work done during the week. This gives me free time on the weekends to make moves with my friends.

What are your studying habits?
While studying, if I feel sleepy I usually just go to bed and continue again early in the morning because once I feel tired I know that there is no way that I will be able to focus. It’s better to work when I’m full of energy and can put all of my attention on the tasks I’m trying to complete.

What is your favorite IB subject?
My favorite IB subject is IB Business because it’s a fun class and I love my teacher.

What are your plans after high school?
My plan after high school is to hold my bachelor’s degree and then complete a Veterinary of Medicine doctorate degree to become a Veterinarian.

How do you prepare for IB exams?
To prepare for IB exams I usually just review things I don’t remember from weeks prior, and I try not to stress about reviewing things I already know because it’s a waste of time and energy. Basically, I prioritize studying the information that I know I’m not fully familiar with.

Is your only focus academics?
No, a lot of people revolve their world around academics which I think is a waste of the high school experience. High school is supposed to be fun, what’s the point if all you do is stress? I think everyone should be able to have fun while getting good grades in their classes.

Who has helped you on your IB journey and how or why?
Niki Holmes and Linda Bradshaw helped me stay organized. If it wasn’t for them I probably wouldn’t have been as efficient as I am and I would’ve struggled a lot more.

What advice do you give to future IB candidates?
My advice to future IB candidates would be to just push forward and stay strong through the process because although tedious, struggling for half of your high school life and experience is going to be a lot more worth it in the future.

What skills do you think the IB program has taught you that can help you later in life?
If I’m being honest, the only skill the IB program taught me was to teach myself to completely stop being stressed and worrying about every single due date, and to just keep a positive energy and get things done.