PSAT score report worth the price?

Khadija Ahmed, Staff Writer

Twenty dollars. A little over eight gallons of gas. Almost three burritos at Chipotle. This is the price that many juniors will be paying to obtain their PSAT score report, but some are left wondering if the information will actually warrant its hefty cost.

The PSAT is a 2 hours and 45 minutes long standardized test that is mostly made up of multiple-choice questions. This test is also known as the NMSQT (National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test). Students in the 9th and 10th grade take a version of the PSAT as well, but only 11th graders will be required to pay 20 dollars in order to acquire their score report.

Junior Efrata Tecle will be paying the fee, but isn’t happy about it. “Why do I have to pay 20 dollars to get my score? That seems like it should just be given to me. If I take the test I should get the score or else, I shouldn’t have to take the test,” she says. Tecle still avows, “I think it’s important to receive your score report because then you know where you stand and if you need to take the SAT, how much prep you need to do so that you can get a good score.”

In addition, junior Tiya Ayele is also paying the fee but is discontent regarding the situation. “The PSAT [score report] is one of those things where no matter what they make the price, people are going to pay for it,” she contends. Despite the absurd price point Ayele speaks of its importance,“The PSAT report tells you how you scored overall and in each section. If you want to improve your score, you will know what you should focus on and how much you need to improve by.” In summation, the information provided in the PSAT score report is worth the price regardless of how ludicrous it may seem.