Swine Flu Survival Guide

Six key products to help prevent and relieve the various symptoms of the H1N1 virus

1. Vitamin C is an essential vitamin that helps support the body’s immune system. There are chewable tablets as well as pills that you can swallow, which are available at all drug stores. This key nutrient can also be found in high quantities in citrus fruits such as oranges and grapefruit.

2. When the skin around the area of the nose becomes red, dry and cracked, use a nasal moisturizer, such as the saline mist pictured to the right. This spray can be used by simply placing the tip of the can around the rim of nostril and pressing down gently, releasing a light mist. Products such as this one offer temporary relief from the damage caused by scratchy tissues.

3. A relatively new product in the United States, which originated in India, is the neti pot. It is used by placing a mixture of warm water and salt into the neti pot, then leaning over a sink or bath tub with your head at a forty five degree angle and pouring the liquid into one nostril. The liquid will run through one nostril and out the other, removing the build-up that causes sinus pressure.

4. Since the H1N1 virus is highly contagious, students should use hand sanitizer after coming into contact with objects that are used by multiple people. These objects may include things like keyboards, door knobs, and railings. Remember not to over-use hand sanitizer because the alcohol in it kills both good and bad germs.

5. The only way to fully immunize your self from catching the H1N1 flu would be to receive the swine flu vaccination. This comes in the form of a shot, similar to the regular flu shot. However, because of the high demand and low supply, it will be difficult to get one until more shipments arrive in the northern Virginia area. Contact your doctor’s office to see if they are available.

6. If you do happen to catch the H1N1 virus, the current treatment that doctors are using is the drug known as Tamiflu. This prescription medication is given to patients who have been exposed to the swine flu from someone else or have had the illness for less than two days. It works by slowing the spread of virus within the body. The side effects of this drug include insomnia, coughing, nausea or vomiting and headache.