The Cold Weather Effects Outdoor Sports

Winter is finally here! Now that the cold weather has hit, are you prepared for the outdoors? Anyone who exercises in cold weather needs to take a few precautions in order to stay comfortable, safe and still perform at the best level when temperatures drop. Since winter sports have just started athletes are preparing for the winter ahead.

Dressing warmly is important to prevent frost bite and hypothermia.Natural fibers such as silk, wool and polyester do an excellent job of keeping the moisture away from the skin, drying quickly and insulating well. Cotton is a poor choice because it absorbs moisture. Junior Caroline Kane says “I check to see what the weather is like and then put on layers of clothing that I can easily take off I need to.”

Winter sports such as track can help you burn calories, increase your cardiovascular fitness, and strengthen muscles. According to Nutristrategy.com, on average running 4 miles per hour burns 10-12 calories/minute and 2400-3000 for 4 hours.

Although running has its advantages, running in the cold can be sore on your muscles as well. Junior Jason Antezana says “I have to stretch because my leg muscles hurt a lot, especially when I walk upstairs.” Sore muscles can be prevented by continues stretching, keeping hydrated and icing sore muscles immediately after hard workouts.

Nutrition is one of the most important factors to consider when you’re outside. Kane says “I probably drink a little bit less than I do in the spring, even though I shouldn’t.”

Winter athletes need to constantly drink more fluids to replace the water that gets lost when running. Dehydration is one of the main reasons for reduced performance in the cold. Ideal foods are carbohydrates that are eaten 2 hours prior to exercise. Soups, bread, pasta, cereals, peanut butter, lean meat, and low-fat cheese are good choices.

Winter is finally here!  Now that the cold weather has hit, are you prepared for the outdoors? Anyone who exercises in cold weather needs to take a few precautions in order to stay comfortable, safe and still perform at the best level when temperatures drop. Since winter sports have just started athletes are preparing for the winter ahead.

Dressing warmly is important to prevent frost bite and hypothermia. Junior Caroline Kane says, “I check to see what the weather is like and then put on layers of clothing that I can easily take off I need to.”