Deadly Diet Pills

High school is difficult enough balancing school work, extracurricular activities and a social life. Unfortunately, it also happens to come at a time in life when self esteem is low and constant advertising bombards teens with images of stick-thin models and miraculous diet pills, which can prove to be a lethal combination.

More and more reports are beginning to surface relating to the odd side effects of over-the-counter diet pills, dating as far back as the 1990s. In 1997, a common ingredient called fenfluramine, which is said to promote feelings of fullness to limit eating, was banned from the market after being linked to a white substance which resulted in clogged heart valves. It caused numerous heart-related deaths before medical professionals began to take notice.

A similar incident occurred in 2004, involving a drug known as Ephedra, which was withdrawn after scientists asserted that it raised blood pressure levels and led to an increased risk of stroke. This was the drug that caused the death of Baltimore Orioles pitcher Steven Belcher seven years ago.

The $18 billion diet pill industry, however, has not diminished even after dangerous incidents such as these. In fact, it has actually grown within the past decade. The number of girls who are using such diet pills has also risen. According to a study conducted by the University of Minnesota, the number of girls who are using diet pills has doubled within the past five years.

“Once I tried one of those acai berry supplements that I saw on an advertisement online and then again on an infomercial,” said a sophomore girl, who wished to remain anonymous. “I talked to my mom about taking them and she allowed me to order them, but kept close tabs on me when I was taking them. They didn’t help me lose any weight, but acted more like a caffeine pill and made me jittery. I stopped taking them after two weeks when I realized they weren’t actually doing anything.”

Dr. Robert B. Poser, a physician specializing in weight management who treats many AHS students said, “Losing weight requires work. Anything, whether it be a surgery, a program or “pill” that makes long term weight loss sound easy has to be viewed with lots of skepticism.” More of his expert advice can be found on his blog, spdiet.blogspot.com, along with other articles dealing with weight-related issues.

Many AHS students seem to share his doubt about the effectiveness of diet pills. Senior Jeff Huynh, said, “I don’t know anyone who takes

those things. I think they’re bogus and don’t give you any actual results.”

Medical professionals concur with Huynh’s view on these diet pills. In fact, research has indicated that people who limit their behavior around food actually end up gaining more weight.“I don’t think I would try any type of supplement if I were trying to lose weight,” said junior Ashton Johnson. “I’ve heard of other methods, though. Like when wrestlers need to make a certain weight, they’ll cut out carbs from their diet or limit the amount of food they eat.” The risks far outweigh the benefits of these diet pills. One thing that all doctors in the medical field do agree on is that the only way to lose weight effectively and keep it off is not with some diet pill, but by lowering daily caloric intake and beginning a healthy exercise regimen.