Coping with the cough

As rain falls intermittently throughout the day, the feeling of spring begins to sink in.  Saturday, March 20 marked the first official day of spring. Outside, birds are chirping to unknown melodies and flowers buds can be seen sprouting from the ground and beginning to bloom.

Although the recent bright and sunny days have been a pleasant change for some, others cannot help but disagree. As you walk down the hallways of AHS students can be heard sneezing left and right.  Because spring marks the time where flowers bloom and begin the process of reproduction, the pollen count, which may have been tolerable before, reaks havoc on those unfortunate enough to be allergic.

Junior Lydia Metz is one of those unlucky students, “I don’t like spring,” she says, “because I have really bad allergies. ”

Many students and faculty members alike suffer from allergies caused by inhaling the massive amounts of pollen floating in the air, and are hit hard with the wretched symptoms that accompany it during spring. Some common symptoms of allergies include dry eyes, nasal congestion and hives; however allergy symptoms vary for each individual. Most drug stores and pharmacies carry medications to help reduce the severity of reactions. Before taking any medication to treat symptoms, it is important to speak to a doctor or health care adviser.

Other people prefer to use home remedies to reduce their allergy symptoms. Instead of medicine or shots from their doctor, they prefer to use a neti pot. This small, teapot shaped glass is filled with a solution that is poured it into one side of the nose. The process cleanses nasal passsages and allows for easier breathing.

Walking outside to get to and from trailer classes are especially difficult for students and teachers with allergies. Students who have to walk to and from school or to their bus stops also have extra difficulties dealing with their severe pollen allergies.The upcoming rainfall scheduled in the forecast for this week, are expected to help clear away most of the pollen.