Breakfast boosts energy

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

This fact has been repeated to students over and over again, but many overlook it and decide that missing the meal is not that big a deal.

Students make up excuses as to why they did not eat breakfast; whether it be they did not have time or they want to lose weight.

However, it is time that students realize the true importance of breakfast and how much of an impact it has on one’s everyday life.

Many people often think that skipping this meal will help them lose weight, but that is in fact a myth.

While you sleep, you are inactive;  therefore, your metabolism is slowing down.

If you wake up in the morning and decide to skip breakfast your metabolism will stay at this lowered state; however, if you eat breakfast it will speed up your metabolism and will increase your fatburning ability.

It also prevents you from overeating because you are getting the energy you need when you need it.

“Eating breakfast stimulates your metabolism and gives you energy. This helps me during sports because I am not as hungry later in the day and I have the energy to perform well and not get tired as much.” says sophomore Connie Tran.

Your body needs the energy that breakfast gives you in order to run properly throughout the day.

If your body was a car then the fuel that is needed to keep you going is in the form of glucose. Both your brain and your nervous system need glucose in order to function.

If you do not supply glucose then your body turns fat into glucose and causes you to be slower throughout the day.

“Breakfast really depends on what you eat. If I eat a good breakfast it helps me think a lot clearer and not be so drowsy throughout the day,” says junior Tyrek Worrell.

Healthy breakfast items include oatmeal, bran cereal, wholewheat bread, highfiber cereal, fruit, and eggs. These are just a few examples of items that can be consumed and will benefit you.

Sugary things like Pop Tarts, high sugar cereal, and doughnuts are not considered a healthy breakfast and will not benefit you.

So ignore all of the myths you may have heard about the “benefits” of skipping breakfast and start giving your body the energy that it needs.