April Showers Bring May- Allergies?

As the temperature rises throughout the spring season, so does the rate of used tissues to take care of those runny noses that occur as a result of pollen.

“Spring is beautiful but the allergies that come with it- not so good,” math teacher Leonida Gibson said.

Many people in the Annandale area battle seasonal allergies. Every spring allergy symptoms arise and cause many irritations like watery eyes, itchy noses, and sneezing.

“I’m allergic to pollen; if I go outside I start sneezing,” sophomore Jae Kim said.

For many sufferers, some days are worse than others with the changing pollen count. The pollen count is the amount of pollen in the air. Basically the higher the count, the worse the allergies will be for that day.

“[I’m allergic to] pollen. My eyes water really badly. This is the worst [season] in a while, especially with the pollen count going up and down,” sophomore Becky Burke said.

People who are bothered by allergies do have options to relieve their symptoms like medicine, both over the counter and prescribed, nasal sprays and shots. It has also been said that consuming two tablespoons of honey everyday will stop all allergies from occurring over time.

“I’m allergic to pollen. I use eye drops and Claritin or Zyrtec. [My allergies] make it so I can’t breathe, I have either watery or dry eyes, and my voice gets deeper,” junior Godwin Banzuelo said.

Besides medicine, there are ways to avoid pollen as much as possible by staying inside during peak pollen hours, which typically occur during the afternoon, taking showers after being outside, not wearing contacts, and, if possible, use air conditioning instead of opening the windows.

Source Discovery Health