Flip-flops fall flat

The summer season is typically associated with pools, beaches and many other fun-in-the-sun activities. As you go from place to place, you might find yourself stepping into the casual flip-flop footwear. However, while these five dollar shoes may seem perfect for the summer, the side effects of wearing them could be very harmful.

“I wear flip-flops because they’re easier to put on and I don’t have to wear socks,” rising junior Gunnar Thompson said.

The flip-flop is designed to be quick and easy to put on. While you may not realize it, the lack of a back strap around your ankle requires your feet to do a lot of extra work while walking. According to Cnn.com, most people need to curl their toes while they walk to keep the sandals on, but by doing so they are stretching out some of the tissues in their feet that can possibly cause pain and irritation.  If flip-flops are worn too often, the user may experience tired and sore feet.

“I’m a life guard so I wear flip-flops all day, and my feet always ache afterwards,” rising senior Emily Krause said.

The flip-flop design also causes people to take shorter strides to prevent the shoe from falling off. By doing so, each step is heavier and creates a higher level of stress on the joints, specifically the ankles, knees and hips. Some issues that are common to see are tendinitis and shin splints. The lack of arch support in the flimsy shoes can also cause damage to your arches, possibly causing the arch to collapse. (Again, add a “according to”)

It is also easier to contract many germs and diseases from flip-flops because they are open-toed shoes. These diseases can range from mild to very serious and include types of fungus, boils and other germs that can enter your bloodstream.

There are more options then the classic flat flip-flop. If possible try and find a sandal with some arch support and a back strap that will help keep your feet in place. It is also recommend that buying a flip-flop with a tiny heel will relieve some of the pain that the calf muscle experiences. You may even want to consider investing in a more expensive flip-flop with a thicker sole and better quality support and material.

“I wear Rainbows because they mold to my feet and give me better arch support,” rising junior Connie Tran said.

Some say that not only are more expensive brands like Rainbows a healthier alternative for your body that provide better protection for your feet, but they tend to last a much longer period of time.

For many, avoiding flip-flops altogether seems a little ridiculous. If you do slip some on, make sure that you avoid wearing them for long periods of time and that you do not attempt to exercise.

“I try to avoid walking long distances [in flip-flops] because they hurt my feet after a while,” Tran said.

Also, stretching and icing your feet and calves should alleviate some of the discomfort that you may already feel after wearing the shoes.

Partial Source: CNN